If you work with any kind of machine tools, keeping them in working condition is important to you, your business and your bottom line. A machine tool is classified as any machine that is used to shape and machine metal as well as other materials that are rigid. Their use goes back to Ancient Egypt when the bow lathe and the bow drill were invented. These early machine tools were hand crafted. If you need it, you can use a machine tool repair service but the goal is always to keep your machine tools properly maintained so you can avoid needing to do that.
Maintenance Tips to Avoid Needing Machine Tool Services:
- Keep your machine tools well lubricated. If the parts in your machine tools have to rub together on a regular basis, you will need to be diligent in your lubrication of all of these parts. This will help you prevent it from seizing up or getting all clogged up. It can also prevent other problems from occurring with your machine tools. This is one of the best things you can do to avoid needing a machine tool repair service. Machine tool builders often find themselves working in dangerous or potentially dangerous environments. The good news is that a number of these dangers can be avoided or prevented all together by taking some simple steps such as lubricating the machine tool regularly.
- Make sure your machine tools are kept dry. This may seem counterintuitive after the tip about proper lubrication. If you are careful and keep your machine tools dry and protected from the elements and bad weather, you will extend the lifespan the machine tools. This will also prevent you from needing to take them to a machine tool repair service. It is important to remember that the technology has really not changed that much for many of these tools since they were developed in Ancient Egypt. Machine tools are definitely vulnerable to natural and normal wear and tear. You should store them in a clean and dry space to keep them working at their best.
- Be careful with how you clean your machine tools. Never use a high pressure air hose on a lathe. While it is important to properly and regularly clean your machine tools as it will keep you from having destructive build up that can damage the machine tool and prevent it from working correctly, you need to be careful when you do this. A high pressure hose can push dust or dirt into the small crevices on the tool. This may make using the tool hazardous because often the machine tools will rub against each other at very high speeds. Any intrusion needs to be prevented.
- Keep the oil levels at the proper levels. One of the best ways to avoid needing to go to a machine tool repair service with your tools is to keep the oil levels for the gear box spindle at the right level. This is an easy thing to do and will save you a lot of time, money and stress later on. Remember, an ounce of prevention is absolutely worth a pound of cure.
- These simple details are what make machine tooling such a complex job. Machine tool builders are highly trained professionals equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to make sure all bases are cleared to maintain a safe, efficient machine. Safety is of the utmost importance when it comes to dealing with heavy machinery. Donandrsquo;t end up with unwanted consequences from simple check ups and repairs on your machines.
Machine tools have been with us for a very long time. Some historians date their first use back to between 2500 and 1200 BC. This was when bow drills and potter’s wheels were developed. Lathes have been around just about as long. Their use has been well documented in Europe as far back as 1000 to 500 BC. The modern idea of what we think of when we talk about machine tools took root in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. The point is that these are neat tools that have a long and interesting history.