This is the time of year when families are looking for affordable ways to travel the country. From visiting the nation’s capitol to touring the Grand Canyon, the months of June, July, and August are the busiest. Although some families can afford to fly and stay in hotels, there are other families who make their trips far more affordable by traveling in a recreational vehicle (RV). This kind of travel, of course, is only fun if it is well planned and safe. The planning part of a trip involves research about the opening hours of local attractions and other planning information; the safety part, however, relies on hands on attention to things like trailer brake controllers, trailer sway control hitches, and other essential details.
Safe Vacation Plans Begin with Attention to Details
From electronic brake controllers for RVs that are pulled behind a large pick up to a RV sway control systems, their is no detail that is too small when it comes to the safety of your family when you are traveling on vacation. Many of the same devices that were originally designed to keep goods safe as they travel across country to consumers are now an integral part of the RVS that many Americans depend on when they travel on family vacation. Fortunately, these new technologies are included in the latest models, but travelers still need to be careful about the kind of used RV equipment that they drive, whether it is their own or something that they are renting for a trip.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the RV industry and the many safety features that are available to make sure that your vacation goes as planned:
- Two main categories of RVs are towables, those towed behind the family car, van or pickup, and motorhomes, those where the unit is all together.
- 11% of U.S. households headed by 35 year olds to 54 year olds own an RV, exceeding the 9.3% ownership rates of those 55 and over. This is an indicator that RV travel is a family option for many Americans.
- RVers are free to roam America’s roads for a weekend, or months at a time, because there are more than 16,000 public and privately owned campgrounds across the nation.
- Weight distribution systems are recommended if a trailer weight is more than 50% of the weight of the vehicle that is doing the towing.
- Including RV renters, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) estimates nationwide there are as many as 30 million RV owners and enthusiasts.
Summers are made for vacations and if you want to make sure that your summer trip goes as planned, it is important to make sure that you have all of the latest safety features, from brake controllers to sway controllers, on the RV that you will be using for traveling.