Most Americans love their cars. This is especially true if the car in question is a luxury car such as Mercedes Benz cars. If you have one, taking proper care of your Mercedes is probably a priority for you. Many people see these cars as investments. Here are some ways you can keep your Mercedes running and looking like new.
- Keep your Mercedes in the shade. The UV rays from the sun can be very damaging to your skin and to your car’s paint job. The paint will fade a lot less quickly when you take care of the car by parking it in the shade or in a garage whenever possible. You can have an Equinox pergola built as your car’s parking space.
- Use a car cover. If you cannot park your car in a garage, you can protect your Mercedes from the elements by using a car cover. The sun is not your only threat. Salt from the road and grime can get stuck on your car and damage the paint job.
- Wash your car. Even if you use a car cover or park your car in a garage, it will still be exposed to dirt, salt and other gunk that is on the road because the road is where you drive it. You can protect it from stuck on grime by washing it regularly. You should pay attention to any bird droppings as they can do a lot of damage to your Mercedes’s paint job.
- Have the brakes checked regularly. Your Mercedes’ brakes need to be inspected for wear and tear, defects and other problems. You should have any repairs done by authorized Mercedes dealerships. Any problems Mercedes parts should be fixed or replaced as soon as they are found. You should have the brake fluid checked more often than the brakes themselves. This should be done at least every 20,000 miles.
- Your Mercedes’ electrical system needs to be inspected regularly. This needs to be done by a certified Mercedes mechanic who is familiar with this kind of car’s specific system. This is not a job for the neighborhood mechanic who works on a variety of cars.
- The transmission needs to be looked at when you get to about 80,00 miles. If you have not reached that in five years, you should go ahead and have your Mercedes’ transmission services anyway. This is a crucial part of the vehicle and needs to be kept in tip top condition for proper operation of the car. Anytime you have work done on your Mercedes, the transmission fluid should be checked.
- Have the other fluid levels checked. All motor vehicles on the road need to have their oil checked and changed from time to time. If your Mercedes is a newer model, it probably uses synthetic oil. You should have this check and change done at the Mercedes shop. Your coolant levels should be checked to maintain the proper level. Have your Mercedes mechanic take a look if you notice the levels have dropped more than they should have. While not a fluid, your air filter will need to be replaced after 40,000 miles.
- Use the right quality of gas. Your Mercedes will run a lot better and last longer if you use a better quality of gas. Generally, going by the European standards works well but if you have any questions about that, you can talk to your Mercedes dealership or mechanic and get their thoughts on this. Using gas with the correct octane for your car will keep the engine running smoothly.
- Have your tires checked and rotated. If the air pressure is even slightly off, it can have a negative impact on your alignment. That can impact your brakes. It takes very little to check the air pressure of your Mercedes’ tires so take some time and make sure that is taken care of. You can even check your tires yourself with a gauge from any car parts store. It is even easier to do than checking the oil!
You Mercedes is a well designed and manufactured vehicle. This is why so many people consider it an investment when other cars lose as much as 30% of their value when you drive them off the lot.